Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Gratitude and Humility Can Take You to The Top of Any Mountain

As time goes on and I ease into those years when certain biological symbols of aging start to show up ... new grey hairs, blurry vision, craving for wine most of the time ... there are also nuggets of wisdom that I know were not around in my 20s.  With just hours remaining in 2014 ... if I had just two words to describe my theme for the year, they would be GRATITUDE and HUMILITY.  As my emotional bucket becomes more advanced with a healthy fill of good, bad, epic and crushing life experiences - being grateful and humble are what ties together all of the chaos in a way that makes sense and moves forward.

Living with gratitude and humility is an evolution that encompasses encounters and experiences big and small.  One that I would like to share because I actually wrote about it in the moment is my 2013 Kilimanjaro climb.

Most of my big adventures have put me in and around some form of H20.  Admittedly, climbing Kilimanjaro was not on my to-do list, but it only took a little YPO Peer pressure (and promise of cots and toilets) to get me signed up for the big climb. 

Here is the letter I wrote soon after the trip.  And, Happy New Year ... life is indeed much happier and more powerful with gratitude and humility in the driver's seat.
===================================================================================

February 26,2013

Dear Family and Friends,

I am happy to report that I made it to the Summit of Kilimanjaro!  This was by far and beyond the MOST challenging quest of my life...both physically and mentally.  Though I had tremendous respect for the endeavor of climbing the tallest point in Africa and reaching the summit of over 19,600 feet, I expected - and I imagine the people I am close to also expected, that this would be a Mission Accomplished.

 
 
Well, I was humbled...greatly humbled and felt like a speck of sand that should blow away and not exist or matter.  I feel extremely blessed and fortunate that I made it to the top and back down - safely.  I did every step of the 7 day climb with a sprang ankle that is still in "kankle" state, had altitude issues that gave me flu like symptoms and delirium that entered a mental state and place I had never known.

 
 
The daily 5 - 9 hour hikes were just warm ups (often long and painful) leading up to Summit night.  We woke up at 11 pm and started for the Summit at midnight.  6 and a half hours of taking tiny and very painful steps in the very cold and dark night - gasping for air that seemed to be disappearing - took a tremendous mental tole.  I don't know how I managed through those hours except with my guides who took care of me and sang African gospel songs most all of the way.  I didn't understand any of the words, but they kept me going and gave me faith.  At about 6 am, Christian, one of guys in my group said, "turn around" - the sun was just entering this side of the world and we were the first people to see it.  I knew we were close...so close.  We reached the Summit of Kilimanjaro at around 7:30 am and stood side by side and face to face with our sun - above Africa - the air, clouds, and everything else.  I felt of tremendous sense of personal accomplishment, insignificance and powerlessness. 
 
 
 
 
And, I did have a very special purpose.  I was so honored to be able to bring some of Chris's (Randy, my brother in law's best friend) ashes to thrive on the top of Kilimanjaro and his presence was front, center and over the top (typical Chris!). On day three during a water break, I took out his ashes and shared with my group about Chris.  We were immediately overwhelmed with a 360 degree rainbow around the sun without a drop of rain or cloud in sight. Everyone knew what had just happened and we all felt joy and lifted.  The air was as still as space at the summit and as I made my tribute and spread Chris's ashes on the top of Africa, an isolated breeze carried his ashes right back toward me and all over me.  Anyone who knew Chris would just nod and smile.  So Chris...


I will spare the rest of the Getting Down details for another time, but it was pretty darn ugly, painful and I entered the graduate level education in metal smack-down and humility.

At my most delirious mental states, most exhausted physical moments and even now - rested and reflective - I have two words to describe how my feel about my Kilimanjaro climb: Gratitude and Humility.  Without the support of my sisters who provided both the gear and layering systems/strategy for survival, my family and friends who supported my crazy quest and prayed for my well being and safety, the most wonderful Kili climb mates I could ever ask for, the incredible, gracious and loving crew who performed miracles every day that allowed to me focus on just one thing...putting one foot in front of the other - until I made it safely back to base camp, and God who gave me faith, strength and great weather...I would NOT have finished this climb.  No way, no how.


I know I will continue to download from these last 8 days and hope to become a better speck on our grand and glorious planet.


Love,

Sue

(written from Nairobi - transiting to Istanbul later tonight)

No comments:

Post a Comment